When it comes to fishing, the weather can be unpredictable. One moment you’re enjoying a sunny day on the water, and the next thing you know, it’s pouring rain. That’s why having waterproof fishing gloves is essential for any angler. These gloves not only protect your hands from the elements but also provide a better grip on your fishing equipment. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about waterproof fishing gloves for cold weather.
Why do you need waterproof fishing gloves?
First and foremost, let’s address the question – why do you need waterproof fishing gloves? As mentioned earlier, the weather can change in an instant, and you don’t want to be caught unprepared. Waterproof fishing gloves are specifically designed to keep your hands dry and warm, even in the most challenging weather conditions. If you’re serious about fishing, then investing in a good pair of waterproof gloves is necessary.
Not only do these gloves protect your hands from getting wet, but they also provide excellent grip and dexterity. This is especially crucial when handling slippery fish, bait, or hooks. Additionally, these gloves offer protection from sharp objects or rough surfaces that you may encounter while fishing. In short, waterproof fishing gloves are a must-have for any angler.
Types of Waterproof Fishing Gloves
There are different types of waterproof fishing gloves available in the market today. Let’s take a look at each type and their features to help you choose the right one for your needs.
Neoprene gloves are a popular choice among anglers, especially for cold weather fishing. This material is waterproof and provides excellent insulation to keep your hands warm. It also offers good dexterity, making it easier to handle small objects like hooks and bait. However, neoprene gloves can be quite thick and may reduce your sensitivity while fishing.
PVC gloves are another popular choice for anglers. They are waterproof and provide excellent grip, making them suitable for handling wet fish. They are also lightweight and flexible, offering better dexterity than neoprene gloves. However, PVC gloves may not provide as much warmth as neoprene gloves in extremely cold weather.
Gore-Tex gloves are a high-quality option for fishing in cold and wet conditions. They are made from a breathable material that keeps your hands dry while also providing insulation to keep them warm. These gloves offer the best combination of waterproofing, dexterity, and warmth. However, they may come at a higher price point than other types of gloves.
Factors to consider when buying waterproof fishing gloves
Now that you know the different types of waterproof fishing gloves let’s take a look at some crucial factors to consider before making your purchase.
The material of the glove is an essential factor to consider. As mentioned earlier, neoprene, PVC, and Gore-Tex are popular choices for waterproof fishing gloves. Each of these materials has its own pros and cons, so choose one that best suits your needs.
Insulation is crucial when it comes to keeping your hands warm in cold weather. Neoprene gloves provide the most insulation, followed by Gore-Tex gloves. However, if you’re fishing in milder weather, you may not need as much insulation.
A good grip is necessary when handling fishing equipment and slippery fish. PVC gloves offer the best grip, followed by neoprene gloves. Gore-Tex gloves may not have as much grip, but they provide a balance between warmth and dexterity.
Size and Fit
The size and fit of your waterproof fishing gloves are crucial for comfort and functionality. A glove that’s too tight may restrict your movement, while one that’s too loose may lack the grip and sensitivity you need for fishing. To find the perfect fit, you need to measure your hand properly. Here’s how you do it:
- Wrap a tape measure around your hand at the widest part, which is usually around the knuckles. Exclude your thumb from this measurement.
- Measure the length of your hand from the base of your palm to the tip of your middle finger.
- Compare your measurements with the manufacturer’s size chart to find the perfect fit.
Remember, sizes may vary between brands, so always refer to the specific brand’s size guide when choosing your waterproof fishing gloves. A well-fitting pair of gloves should provide both comfort and dexterity, enhancing your cold weather fishing experience.
Finding the right size and fit for your waterproof fishing gloves is important. A glove that is too small will restrict your movements, while a glove that is too big may cause you to lose grip on your equipment. Make sure to try out the gloves before making a purchase or refer to the manufacturer’s sizing guide.
Comfort and Dexterity
Fishing requires a lot of hand movements, so it’s essential to have gloves that are comfortable and offer good dexterity. PVC gloves provide the most flexibility, followed by neoprene gloves. Gore-Tex gloves may be less flexible but still offer decent dexterity.
Tips for using waterproof fishing gloves
Now that you have your waterproof fishing gloves, here are some tips to make the most out of them:
- Always check your gloves for any tears or holes before heading out to fish.
- Use a waterproofing spray to enhance the water-resistant qualities of your gloves.
- If you’re using neoprene gloves, consider getting a thinner inner glove for added sensitivity while fishing.
- Keep an extra pair of gloves in your bag, just in case.
- After use, make sure to dry your gloves properly to prevent mold or mildew growth.
- Wash them after use with mild soap and water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach when cleaning your gloves as they can damage the material.
- “The Benefits of Using Waterproof Fishing Gloves” by John Felsher (source: https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/gear/accessories/benefits-using-waterproof-fishing-gloves/)
- “How to Choose the Best Fishing Gloves for Every Situation” by Alex Robles (source: https://www.takemefishing.org/blog/january-2019/how-to-choose-the-best-fishing-gloves-for-every-sit/)
- “4 Tips For Using Waterproof Gloves While Fishing” by Mark Kenyon (source: https://wired2fish.com/4-tips-for-using-waterproof-gloves-while-fishing/) ## Additional Resources
- “Waterproof Fishing Gloves: 7 Great Options for Cold, Wet Weather” by Tim Behuniak (source: https://manmakesfire.com/waterproof-fishing-glo
- Fingerless vs. Full Fingered: Some waterproof fishing gloves come with fingerless designs, which may be more comfortable for some anglers as it allows for better flexibility and dexterity. However, full-fingered gloves offer more comprehensive protection from the cold.
Benefits of Waterproof Fishing Gloves
Now that we’ve covered some of the features to look for, let’s discuss the benefits of owning a pair of waterproof fishing gloves:
- Protection from the Elements: As mentioned earlier, these gloves provide protection from both wet and cold conditions. This is especially important when fishing in colder climates or during winter months.
- Improved Dexterity: With the right pair of gloves, you can still maintain a good grip on your fishing rod and tackle while keeping your hands warm and dry. This is essential for a successful fishing experience.
- Added Safety: Waterproof fishing gloves also offer added safety by protecting your hands from cuts and scrapes. This is particularly useful when handling fish or other sharp objects.
- Versatility: These gloves are not just limited to fishing; they can also be used for other outdoor activities such as boating, kayaking, and hunting. They’re a versatile piece of gear that every outdoors enthusiast should have in their arsenal.
How to Choose the Right Pair
With so many options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right pair of waterproof fishing gloves. Here are some tips to help you make an informed decision:
- Consider the Weather: The type of gloves you need will depend on the weather conditions you’ll be fishing in. If you’re expecting heavy rain, go for a fully waterproof pair. On the other hand, if you’re facing colder temperatures, opt for gloves with better insulation.
- Think About Durability: Fishing can be a rough sport, and your gloves will likely take a beating. Look for gloves that are made with durable materials and have reinforced palms to withstand wear and tear.
- Comfort is Key: As mentioned earlier, finding the right size and fit is crucial for comfort. Make sure to try on different pairs before making a purchase to ensure they feel comfortable and allow for proper movement.
- Consider Your Fishing Style: Do you primarily fish from a boat, or do you wade in the water? This will affect the type of gloves you need. If you’re fishing from a boat, fingerless gloves may be more practical as they offer better dexterity. However, if you’re wading in the water, full-fingered gloves may be more suitable for added protection.
In conclusion, investing in a pair of waterproof fishing gloves can significantly enhance your fishing experience, especially in colder, wetter climates. From providing much-needed protection against the elements to ensuring a firm grip on your fishing gear, these gloves are a game-changer. They not only allow for effortless fishing adventures but also provide the versatility of use across various outdoor activities. Therefore, when selecting a pair, consider factors such as weather conditions, glove durability, comfort, and your fishing style. With the right pair of gloves, you’re all set for a successful, enjoyable, and comfortable fishing journey. Happy fishing!